The 2020 Tony Award nominations are lastly right here. And though this yr’s Broadway season was lower brief by the coronavirus pandemic, we nonetheless spy loads of NYU expertise among the many nominees.
This yr, solely 18 exhibits that opened earlier than February 19, 2020 are thought of eligible for the 74th annual Tony Awards, which acknowledges achievement in Broadway productions throughout the 2019-2020 season—in contrast, there have been 34 exhibits into account final yr.
Of the 4 new musicals, 10 new performs and 4 play revivals which can be eligible, Jagged Little Tablet and Moulin Rouge! The Musical nabbed the best variety of nominations, with 15 and 14 respectively. Lauren Patten (TSOA) earned a nomination for her portrayal of Jo in Jagged Little Tablet, the rock musical based mostly on Alanis Morisette’s 1995 studio album of the identical identify, with Bellanca Smigel Rutter (GAL ’80) gaining recognition within the Greatest Musical class for producing the present. Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13) labored as a co-producer on Moulin Rouge! The Musical, the theatrical reinvention of Baz Luhrmann’s 2001 film musical, which was additionally nominated for Greatest Musical. Arnold has producer credit on three further nominated exhibits.
NYU school and alumni additionally acknowledged for excellence in design, with affiliate arts professor in Tisch’s division of Design for Stage and Movie Allen Lee Hughes’ (TSOA ’79) nomination for Greatest Lighting Design for A Soldier’s Play and Clint Ramos (TSOA ’97) incomes a nod for Greatest Costume Design for The Rose Tattoo.
Nominations for the 74th annual Tony Awards have been introduced by Tony Award winner James Monroe Iglehart (Aladdin, Hamilton) October 15. The date for the digital award ceremony is but to be introduced.
Please be part of us in congratulating the NYU alumni and college nominees:
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
- Wendy Federman (STERN ’79), Producer, Tina – The Tina Turner Musical
- Bellanca Smigel Rutter (GAL ’80), Producer, Jagged Little Tablet
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, The Inheritance
- Kayla Greenspan (STEINHARDT ’12), Producer, The Inheritance
- Tom Kirdahy (WSC ’85, LAW ’88), Producer, The Inheritance
- Mark Lee (TSOA ’84), Producer, The Inheritance
- Adam Zell (TSOA ’16), Producer, The Inheritance
- Carole Rothman (TSOA ’72), Producer, Grand Horizons
- Mark Wilf (LAW ’87), Producer, Sea Wall/A Life
- Oskar Eustis (Tisch School), Producer, Sea Wall/A Life
Greatest Revival of a Play
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, Betrayal
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune
- Ken Davenport (TSOA ’94), Producer, Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune
- Tom Kirdahy (WSC ’85, LAW ’88), Producer, Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune
- John Paterakis (SPS ’09), Producer, Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune
Greatest Costume Design of a Play
- Clint Ramos (TSOA ’97), Costume Designer, The Rose Tattoo
Greatest Lighting Design of a Play
- Allen Lee Hughes (TSOA ’79, Tisch School), Lighting Designer, A Soldier’s Play
Greatest Efficiency by an Actor in a Featured Function in a Play
- Ato Blankson-Wooden (TSOA ’06), Slave Play
Greatest Efficiency by an Actress in a Featured Function in a Musical
- Lauren Patten (TSOA), Jagged Little Tablet