- Whereas Cristiano Ronaldo is thought for his ego-centric character on the soccer pitch, few find out about his softer and extra charitable aspect.
- The Portuguese striker has beforehand been named the world’s most charitable sportsman.
- Ronaldo revealed early on in his profession that the rationale he would not have any tattoos is in order that he can donate blood extra ceaselessly.
- Ronaldo, who can also be a bone marrow donor, determined to first donate blood when the son of his Portuguese teammate, Carlos Martins, fell ailing with leukemia.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Ronaldo is undoubtedly one of many best soccer gamers of all time. However many individuals additionally dislike the Juventus striker due to his very assured and seemingly conceited persona.
Few, nonetheless, know of Ronaldo’s softer aspect and his dedication to charity work. For instance, in 2015 Ronaldo was named the world’s most charitable sportsperson. A few of his most charitable acts embrace auctioning off his 2013 Ballon d’Or trophy for $775,000 to donate the proceeds to the Make-A-Want basis, funding the development of a pediatric hospital in Chile, and even paying for the cancer treatment of a 9-year-old fan.
Though his outward look would possibly match all of the clichés of a self-obsessed soccer participant — the coiffure, luxurious automobiles, and designer garments — one element is placing: Ronaldo’s physique shouldn’t be lined in tattoos. He stands out in a sport the place physique artwork may be very fashionable with gamers. However why has the celebrity chosen to not ink his physique?
—Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) December 30, 2017
In an early interview with the Italian news website Diretta, Ronaldo mentioned: “I haven’t got tattoos in order that I can donate blood extra typically.”
Whereas individuals with tattoos can nonetheless donate blood, they will solely do it after not less than 4 months of receiving new ink, according to the Red Cross. That is due to the chance of an infection. The identical rule additionally applies to piercings or everlasting make-up.
Ronaldo determined to first donate blood when the son of his Portuguese teammate, Carlos Martins, fell ill with leukemia in 2011. The then three-year-old was identified with a really uncommon sort of blood illness.
Ronaldo can also be registered as a bone marrow donor. “I did it a few years in the past and if I needed to do it once more, I’d, as a result of this can be a very critical illness for a lot of kids and we have to assist them…It is a easy course of and you then really feel blissful as a result of you recognize you might be serving to one other particular person,” he once said.
So whereas Ronaldo nonetheless matches the picture of a typical soccer millionaire, his tattoo-less physique seems to be proof he additionally makes use of his fame to make the world slightly higher.