Aquaphor is a skincare staple for many individuals who’ve dry, chapped pores and skin or lips. This ointment will get its moisturizing powers primarily from petrolatum, lanolin, and glycerin.
These elements work collectively to drag water from the air into your pores and skin and maintain it there, preserving pores and skin hydrated. It comprises different elements, too, like bisabolol, which is derived from the chamomile plant and has soothing, anti-inflammatory properties.
Although it’s finest often known as a moisturizer for dry pores and skin, Aquaphor can also be generally used as a protected and efficient a part of tattoo aftercare.
In case you’re planning to get some new ink, or have simply gone beneath the needle, you might need to be taught extra about how and why to make use of Aquaphor when caring for a brand new tattoo.
Getting a tattoo means subjecting your pores and skin to harm. It’s necessary you give your tattoo the precise remedy and time to heal so it doesn’t scar or turn into contaminated or distorted. It would take about 3 or 4 weeks to your tattoo to completely heal.
Moisture is essential to making sure your tattoo heals correctly. After getting a tattoo, you need to stop it from drying out. Dryness will trigger extreme scabbing and itchiness, which may injury your new ink.
Tattoo artists usually advocate Aquaphor for aftercare as a result of it’s so good at hydrating the pores and skin — and that’s necessary whenever you get a brand new tattoo.
In fact, you should utilize different unscented moisturizing ointments to care to your tattoo. Search for petrolatum and lanolin within the elements record.
Nonetheless, you’ll need to avoid utilizing straight-up petroleum jelly or Vaseline. That’s as a result of it doesn’t enable sufficient air to have contact with the pores and skin. This will result in poor therapeutic and even an infection.
Instantly after you get inked, your tattoo artist will apply a bandage or wrap to the tattooed space in your pores and skin. They are going to possible advise you to maintain that bandage or wrap in place for anyplace from a number of hours to a number of days.
When you take away the bandage or wrap, you want to begin a cycle of:
- gently washing your tattoo with unscented cleaning soap and lukewarm water
- gently drying your tattoo by patting it with a clear paper towel
- making use of a skinny layer of Aquaphor or one other unscented ointment authorized to deal with tattoos, akin to A and D
You’ll repeat the method of washing, drying, and making use of Aquaphor two to 3 instances a day for a number of days after getting inked.
There’ll come a degree throughout your washing-drying-ointment routine whenever you’ll have to change from utilizing ointment to utilizing lotion. That is normally after a number of days to every week or so after you first acquired your tattoo.
There’s a distinction between ointment and lotion. Ointments like Aquaphor do a extra heavy-duty job of moisturizing the pores and skin than do lotions. That’s as a result of ointments have an oil base, whereas lotions have a water base.
Lotions are extra spreadable and breathable than ointments. Aquaphor has the additional benefit of anti-inflammatory results, which may make the tattoo therapeutic course of speedier and extra comfy.
After a given variety of days of utilizing ointment (your tattoo artist will specify what number of), you’ll swap to lotion. It is because you want to hold your tattoo moist for a number of weeks till it’s utterly healed.
Throughout your aftercare routine, as a substitute of including ointment, apply a skinny layer of lotion not less than twice a day. Nonetheless, you may want to use lotion as a lot as as much as 4 instances a day to maintain your therapeutic tattoo hydrated.
Make sure you use unscented lotion. Perfumed lotions sometimes include alcohol, which may dry out the pores and skin.
Any tattoo artist will let you know that the extra effort you place into caring for your new tattoo, the higher it would look. Listed here are another aftercare ideas to assist guarantee your tattoo appears to be like its finest:
- Don’t scrub your tattoo when washing it.
- Don’t submerge or hold your tattoo moist for a chronic time frame. Whereas transient showers are nice, this implies no swimming, baths, or sizzling tubs for not less than 2 weeks.
- Don’t choose at any scabs which will kind in your therapeutic tattoo. Doing so will disfigure your tattoo.
- Don’t put your tattoo in direct daylight or go tanning for two to three weeks. As a substitute, ensure you cowl it with loose-fitting clothes, however not sunscreen. After your tattoo heals, it’s nice to show it to daylight. However observe that unprotected solar publicity will fade your tattoo, so as soon as your tattoo is healed, it’s advisable to make use of sunscreen and different types of solar safety whenever you head exterior.
- In case your tattoo is very scabby or itchy, you might need to think about holding a heat compress in your tattoo for a couple of minutes a day. Fold up two to 3 paper towels, run them beneath heat water, squeeze them out, and gently press the compress in your tattoo. Simply ensure to not oversoak your tattoo.
Aquaphor is a generally beneficial a part of a tattoo aftercare routine. It has hydrating and anti inflammatory properties that may velocity therapeutic and make the method extra comfy.
In case you’re getting some new ink, or have simply gotten a tattoo, you might need to think about using Aquaphor.