SHAMED Johnny Depp in the present day LOST his bid to enchantment in opposition to a scathing Excessive Court docket ruling that he battered ex-wife Amber Heard 12 instances.
The Pirates of the Caribbean star lost a blockbuster libel case against The Sun in November last year in a shocking victory for press freedom.
A choose on the Excessive Court docket dominated we have been proper to model Depp, 57, a “spouse beater” for the brutal assaults on his ex, 34..
However Depp requested the Court docket of Enchantment to grant permission for an enchantment that would overturn the decision and see a retrial happen.
High judges in the present day dramatically dominated in opposition to the Hollywood actor because the enchantment has “no actual prospect of success”.
Lord Justice Underhill, sitting with Lord Justice Dingemans, mentioned: “The listening to earlier than (Mr Justice) Nicol was full and truthful, and he gave thorough causes for his conclusions which haven’t been proven even arguably to be vitiated by any error of strategy or mistake of regulation.”
The conclusion in the present day was welcomed by Ms Heard.
A spokeswoman for the actress mentioned: “We’re happy – however in no way shocked – by the courtroom’s denial of Mr Depp’s software for enchantment.
“The proof offered within the UK case was overwhelming and simple.
“To reiterate, the unique verdict was that Mr Depp dedicated home violence in opposition to Amber on no fewer than 12 events and she or he was left in concern of her life.
“The decision and prolonged, well-reasoned judgment, together with the confidential judgment, have been affirmed.
“Mr Depp’s declare of latest and necessary proof was nothing greater than a press technique, and has been soundly rejected by the courtroom.”
In a press release after the ruling, The Solar added: “The Solar had each confidence that this go away to enchantment software wouldn’t be granted and are happy with in the present day’s determination.
“The case had a full, truthful and correct listening to, and in the present day’s determination vindicates the brave proof that Amber Heard gave to the courtroom about home abuse, regardless of repeated makes an attempt to undermine and silence her by the perpetrator.
“The Solar will proceed to face up and marketing campaign for victims of home abuse.”
The Solar’s attorneys known as it a “victory for the liberty of the press and for victims of home violence all over the place”.
Depp’s UK lawyer, Joelle Wealthy of Schillings Companions, mentioned. “The proof offered eventually week’s listening to (the enchantment of Mr. Depp vs. Information Group Newspapers LTD) additional demonstrates that there are clear and goal causes to noticeably query the choice reached within the UK courtroom.
“Mr. Depp seems to be ahead to presenting the entire, irrefutable proof of the reality within the US libel case in opposition to Ms. Heard the place she should present full disclosure.”
At a listening to final week, Depp’s attorneys mentioned new proof refuted Ms Heard’s declare that she gave her £5.5million divorce settlement to charity.
She publicly pledged to separate the cash she gained from Depp equally between the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Youngsters’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
The last-ditch try by Depp noticed previous claims Ms Heard was a “gold-digger” – dismissed by the Excessive Court docket beforehand – dragged again up in one other character assassination.
His lawyer Andrew Caldecott QC mentioned the declare was a “calculated and manipulative lie”, which gave Ms Heard “a substantial increase to her credibility as an individual”.
He additionally claimed the charity pledge “tipped the scales in opposition to Mr Depp from the very starting”.
However the ruling in the present day mentioned the courtroom made “no discovering about whether or not her statements about her donations have been deceptive” in one other blow for Depp.
Adam Wolanski QC, representing Information Group Newspapers, mentioned the brand new proof “wouldn’t have had any affect” on the results of the trial.
He mentioned the problem of donating the settlement to charity was solely of relevance to “the so-called ‘gold-digger’ thesis, and that was after all a thesis that was expressly deserted by Depp’s authorized group throughout the trial”.
Mr Wolanski added: “The labelling of Ms Heard as a gold-digger was a misogynistic trope. The gold-digger concept was hopeless.”
He additionally rejected Depp’s declare Ms Heard had lied about donating her divorce settlement to charity, saying: “The data doesn’t reveal that Ms Heard lied.”
The 12 instances Depp beat Amber
THE choose dominated Depp attacked his ex-wife 12 instances of their relationship. These have been:
- In early 2013, Depp slapped and knocked Heard to the bottom after she made a joke about his “Wino Ceaselessly” tattoo
- In March 2013, the actor flew right into a rage whereas excessive on medicine and hit Amber so arduous he made her lip bleed
- In June 2013, Depp attacked Amber in a trailer in Hicksville – throwing glasses at her and ripping her costume
- In Might 2014, the actor screams at his spouse on a personal jet after taking medicine and boozing earlier than kicking her within the again or bum
- In 2014, Depp grabs Amber by the hair, slaps her and pushes her to the bottom on a detox journey to the Bahamas.
- In January 2015, the star once more assaults Amber whereas on medicine – this time slapping her and pushing her to the bottom. He then compelled her tears as he stood over her yelling.
- In March 2015, Depp launches right into a brutal three-day assault in Australia – leaving Heard with a damaged lip, swollen nostril and cuts throughout her physique. He trashed the home within the violent rampage and pushed Amber to the bottom, choking her and spitting in her face as he made the star “concern for her her life”
- In March 2015 within the couple’s LA residence, Depp grabbed Amber in entrance of her sister Whitney and repeatedly hit her
- In August 2015 on the couple’s honeymoon, Depp pushed Amber in opposition to a wall by grabbing her by the throat
- In December 2015, Depp chucked a glass decanter at Amber at their LA residence in a drug binge. He additionally slapped her and dragged her by way of the condo by her hair – ripping a bit out. He then hit her once more behind the top and headbutted her within the face and screamed ‘I’ll f***ing kill you’. Depp then pushed her face right into a mattress and repeatedly punched her behind the top
- In April 2016 at Amber’s party, Depp assaulted his spouse after receiving ‘grim information’ about his funds.
- In Might 2016, Depp chucked a telephone at Heard – injuring her eye – earlier than pulling her hair and hanging her
The choose dismissed two allegations made by Ms Heard however didn’t conclude she had been untruthful. These have been:
- In December 2014, Heard claimed Depp was “violent in direction of” her and later branded himself a “f***ing savage”
- In November 2015, she mentioned Depp “threw her across the room” and pushed her over a chair
Main media lawyer Mark Stephens mentioned Depp’s enchantment was destined to fail.
He added: “Mr Justice Nicol was the final word finder of reality on this case. The Court docket of Enchantment may solely intervene if the choose has made a mistake on the regulation, however even Depp’s personal attorneys have been unable to establish any authorized error.
“The enchantment was hopeless and hapless. It may by no means have succeeded. It was a cynical try and undermine the choose’s very cautious determination and distract from the info.”
Final 12 months, Mr Justice Nicol concluded Depp beat Ms Heard 12 out of 14 times – starting in 2013 when he slapped the actress when she made a comment about his tattoo.
He dismissed two allegations made by Ms Heard in 2014 and 2015 however mentioned he could not conclude she had been “untruthful” about it.
The choose additionally discovered Depp put his ex-wife in “concern for her life” on three events – together with throughout a “three-day hostage state of affairs” in Australia in March 2015 the place £120,000 value of harm was brought on to their rented residence.
The 16-day libel trial – thought-about the most important within the twenty first Century – unfolded in July with a string of bombshell revelations.
A string of megastars have been dragged into the case – together with Kate Moss, Sir Elton John and Rolling Stones star Keith Richards.
The courtroom additionally heard how Depp despatched messages to Brit actor pal Paul Bettany, plotting to drown and burn her as a witch and “f**okay her burnt corpse afterwards to verify she’s useless”.
Over the course of their stormy marriage, the choose discovered Depp battered his spouse after slipping into his “monster” persona when he binged on drink and medicines.
He left the actress “fearing for her life” in violent rampages the place Ms Heard was choked, pushed to the bottom and repeatedly hit.
Depp had branded the Aquaman star’s allegations a “hoax” and accused her of attacking him as he gave proof for greater than 20 hours on the Excessive Court docket.
HOW YOU CAN GET HELP:
Girls’s Support has this recommendation for victims and their households:
- At all times preserve your telephone close by.
- Get in contact with charities for assist, together with the Girls’s Support reside chat helpline and companies corresponding to SupportLine.
- In case you are in peril, name 999.
- Familiarise your self with the Silent Answer, reporting abuse with out talking down the telephone, as a substitute dialing “55”.
- At all times preserve some cash on you, together with change for a pay telephone or bus fare.
- Should you suspect your companion is about to assault you, attempt to go to a lower-risk space of the home – for instance, the place there’s a method out and entry to a phone.
- Keep away from the kitchen and storage, the place there are more likely to be knives or different weapons. Keep away from rooms the place you would possibly turn into trapped, corresponding to the lavatory, or the place you is perhaps shut into a cabinet or different small house.
In case you are a sufferer of home abuse, SupportLine is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6pm to 8pm on 01708 765200. The charity’s e mail help service is open weekdays and weekends throughout the disaster – [email protected].
Girls’s Support supplies a live chat service available from 10:00am – 4:00pm weekdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm weekends.
You too can name the freephone 24-hour Nationwide Home Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.
The Alice in Wonderland star additionally tried to smear his ex-wife’s status – even making an extraordinary false claim Ms Heard pooed in their marital bed after a fight.
However the choose mentioned The Solar’s publishers, Information Group Newspapers (NGN), had proved what was within the 2018 article to be “considerably true”.
He additionally dismissed Depp’s description of his ex-wife as a “gold-digger”, saying: “I don’t settle for this characterisation of Ms Heard.”
The loss left his status in tatters, along with his glittering silver display screen profession going through smash.
Shortly after the judgment, Depp was dumped by Warner Bros from the brand new Incredible Beasts film and is now believed to be blacklisted in Hollywood.
Mr Justice Nicol mentioned in November: “Though he has proved the mandatory components of his reason for motion in libel, the defendants have proven that what they revealed within the which means which I’ve held the phrases to bear was considerably true.
“I’ve reached these conclusions having examined intimately the 14 incidents on which the defendants rely, in addition to the over-arching issues which the claimant submitted I ought to have in mind.”
Ms Heard met Depp on the set of The Rum Diary in 2013 and so they wed in 2015.
But they divorced two years later – a year after she obtained a restraining order against him, accusing him of abuse.
Depp is embroiled in a separate libel battle in the US over a 2018 Washington Post piece where Ms Heard claimed to be a victim of domestic abuse but did not mention the actor by name.
The £35million US case was recently delayed until April 2022.