Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports activities
- The Toronto Raptors gained their first NBA championship in franchise historical past on Thursday night time after defeating the Golden State Warriors in Sport 6 of the NBA Finals.
- With the win, some followers claimed that the “Drake curse” had been lifted, as Drake has sat courtside in assist of his crew all through the postseason.
- Others argued that Drake’s earlier public shows of affection for the Warriors show that the curse continues to be alive.
- The talk rages on.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Toronto Raptors gained their first NBA championship in franchise historical past on Thursday night time after defeating the Golden State Warriors in Sport 6 of the NBA Finals.
Whereas he wasn’t in attendance in Oakland, Raptors superfan Drake was cheering his crew alongside from his stage at Jurassic Park – an outside lot the place Toronto followers have gathered all all through the postseason to look at their crew play amongst their fellow followers.When the ultimate buzzer sounded, the Raptors had been champions, and a few followers started to surprise – had the “Drake curse” lastly been damaged?
Prior to now, Drake has been blamed for the losses of a few of his favourite sportsmen, which was finally deemed the “Drake curse” – taking photos with fighters, basketball gamers, and extra simply days, hours, or generally minutes earlier than they lose.
Most lately, the “Drake curse” struck the world of heavyweight boxing, with Drake being photographed with heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua simply days earlier than shedding his title to Andy Ruiz Jr. in one of many largest upsets in a long time.
The curse has additionally taken down the likes of Conor McGregor and Kentucky basketball lately.However after the Raptors win, some followers on Twitter claimed that the curse had been lifted, as Drake’s favourite crew had lastly gained a championship.
Whereas many followers had been comfortable to just accept the top of the curse, others did not imagine the matter was settled, citing Drake’s Warriors tattoos and different moments of public Golden State fandom as proof that the curse might the truth is dwell on.
We can’t know if the curse is actually damaged till Drake backs one other potential champion.
Now that the Raptors have gained, is the Drake curse lastly damaged ?
– Hanan (@hananbunu) June 14, 2019
Raptors out right here breaking the drake curse, you simply like to see it
– Ben Yearsley (@ben_yearsley) June 14, 2019
drake has a steph tattoo. the curse nonetheless lives
– Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) June 14, 2019
Drake curse continues. You already know he secretly supporting GS
– JJ (@TheTimesofJJ) June 14, 2019